Sunday, July 24, 2005

St Mary Magdalene's Day




This morning, I inaugurated a week of art in the park by paying homage to one of its oldest residents, a mighty London plane. I was pleased to be able to mark the day with an image taken from Domenico FETI, an Italian painter (b. ca. 1589, Roma, d. 1623, Venezia) of the Repentant Mary Magdalene.

I entered the gardens at 7.15am, just before they opened, and made an offering to the 150 year old tree, and to St Mary, asking them both to bless our week with good art.

A lot of bark is on the ground, following the rain so I used it as a material to make it seem that the bright yellow cloth flowers had somehow emerged "naturally".

I found myself thinking, art is natural...

I was careful not to damage the tree.

Later I went to the church, put up some of the posters advertising the week and left them some invitations to the evening event this Saturday 30th July. I also picked up the keys to the crypt where we will be running the workshops. There are still a few places left - please leave a comment if you are interested.

Looking forward to seeing what arrives via email and phone now that the posters are going up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter PROMENADED SINCE JULY 24th 2005